This chicken and sausage gumbo is an easy dump-and-go Instant Pot dinner, resulting in a thick stew with vegetables and Cajun spices. Great for keto, low carb, paleo, and whole 30 diets.
Meat: This gumbo uses andouille sausage and chicken breasts. The andouille sausage can be replaced with your favorite type of sausage, and you can substitute either of the meats with seafood. If you opt for shrimp, I recommend adding it after pressure cooking, stirring it in for a minute or two on the saute setting until cooked through.
Spices: The recipe includes a homemade Cajun-style seasoning mix, composed of dried thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. I’d rate this gumbo as medium spicy, but since this varies greatly from person to person, you can add or subtract spices so that the overall heat and flavors match your preferences. If you have a very low tolerance for hot spices, I recommend omitting the cayenne and reducing the paprika by half.
You can serve this gumbo with low carb sides such as:
- fresh garden salad or iceberg lettuce
- cauliflower “rice” or spiralized zucchini “noodles” (tip: buy them pre-riced or pre-spiralized in the produce section at many U.S. grocery stores)
- mashed cauliflower or mashed turnips (with texture and taste similar to mashed potatoes)
- garlic knots, cornbread, or biscuits (all of these are made with low carb almond flour)
You can also keep things simple and enjoy the gumbo by itself — this is what I usually do.
For leftovers, cover, and store in the refrigerator. Reheat using the microwave.
INSTANT POT GUMBO
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces smoked andouille sausage sliced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 14.5 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
Cajun Seasoning Mix:
1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Cut into a total of 6 evenly-sized pieces.
- Add all of the ingredients to the pressure cooker pot, and briefly stir everything together.
- Secure and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes, then manually release the pressure by gradually turning the release knob to its venting position.
- Uncover. Transfer the chicken pieces to a large plate and shred the meat using 2 forks (or shred directly in the pot). Transfer the shredded chicken back to the pot, and stir everything together to let the meat soak up the sauce.
- Optional For Thicker Stew: Turn on the saute setting to medium heat. Boil until the liquid thickens to your desired consistency, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the saute setting, and serve while hot.